4,409 Free Blogger Templates

Free and Professional templates for your blog.

Free Blogger Templates

BTemplates, the best place for Blogger templates since 2008.

A Marriage Made on Promises Not Plans

 
 
'Six days before my dad was supposed to walk me down the aisle, I curled beside him in his hospital bed.'
[ view in browser.     add marieclaire@newsletter.marieclaire.com to your address book ]  
 
 
Marie Claire
 
Must Read
 
 
 
 
FOLLOW US
 
 
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram You Tube
 
 
A Marriage Made on Promises Not Plans
 
Two weeks before Joe and I were to marry on the rooftop of a chocolate factory in downtown St. Louis, we learned my dad had angiosarcoma. We heard words like "cancer." "One in a million." "Extremely aggressive." His doctor warned us not to Google it.

A year earlier, I stood before a silver-framed mirror in a bridal shop sinking my fingers into the soft silk of a wedding dress. I called my dad on FaceTime. "Really, really incredible," he said, tears in his eyes, "just incredible." His booming laugh echoed off the walls.

Three days after I said, "yes to the dress," I woke at midnight to the sinister glow of my iPhone. I learned my dad had been shot point-blank in the jaw during an attempted carjacking. The months that followed were agonizing. Joe cared for my mom as she slept night after night at the hospital, and he comforted me as I wept, afraid, unsure, and heartbroken.

The day my dad was released from the hospital, Joe was there to drive him home. They spent their nights jamming together: Joe on guitar, and my dad pounding piano keys like nothing ever tried to stop him.

My dad, the survivor.

We planned our wedding with newfound vigor. Just like I was there to walk arm-in-arm with my dad as he took his first, unbalanced steps down those monotonous hospital hallways, my dad would walk me down the aisle.

But cancer was a cruel, twisted irony. Six days before my dad was supposed to walk me down the aisle to "Here Comes the Sun," I curled beside him in his hospital bed. We watched Yesterday. He had to pause it halfway through. Sleep was swallowing him.

READ MORE
 

More From Marie Claire
 
Marie Claire
 
Farewell, J. Crew
 
The once-mighty retailer's bankruptcy filing marks the end of a fashion era. Read On
 
 
 
Marie Claire
 
Princess Diana's Former Butler Thinks Prince Harry "Married Meghan Because She's Like Diana"
 
But he also thinks Meghan and Diana might have clashed. Read On
 
 
 
 
 
 
Marie Claire
 
The Best Organic Shampoos for Healthy, Shiny Hair
 
It's time for your hair to break up with chemicals. Read On
 
 
 
Marie Claire
 
What I Learned Training to Be a "Death Companion" During the Pandemic
 
How an online course about grief helped me ease my COVID-19-related anxieties. Read On
 
 
 
Marie Claire
 
Joe Biden's Family History Is Why He Committed to a Life of Sobriety
 
"There are enough alcoholics in my family," he's explained. Read On
 
 
 
 
 
 
marieclaire.com
©2020 Hearst Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Hearst Email Privacy, 300 W 57th St., Fl. 19 (sta 1-1), New York, NY 10019
 
Unsubscribe     Privacy Notice
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment